Eighty percent of building your own house is great fun. Your vision rises out of the cement to reveal the “truth” of the design, is it great or is it a mistake? We’ve had our share of mistakes, but by and large we’re pretty happy with where we are so far. The other twenty percent can be a drag, as we’re forced into making decisions to keep up with the ever present march of construction. Since we’ve never had detailed plans to adhere to (La Corona is evolving out of KR and my vision as-we-go), there is the added unknown of “what’s next?” based on the construction process.
Every visit has its share of stress but as we near the finish, each decision is more important as its the stuff we’re going to see — finishes, colors, surfaces, floors, etc. This trip forced us to…
- Decide on the basic design of the master bathroom
- Decide on the colors of the interior
- Decide on lighting fixtures
- Decide on electrical switches
- Decide on the kitchen floor design
- Decide on the roof of Raphael’s tower
- Decide on the tile design for the front entrance
- Decide on where the interior rocks are going to go
We are now seven and a half months into construction and we have our first important milestone approaching: Karen has to move out of her temporary quarters and into one of the bedrooms at La Corona on September 5th. Construction will then proceed literally around her until complete. When will that be? I’m still betting on late October.
To date, here’s what’s been done
- All structural work is done. Raphael’s Tower is up
- Pool deck and pool are done
- 4th Floor is 80% done, just awaiting the completion of the “Secret Outdoor Bedroom.”
- The waterfall is done and working
- First floor sitting room is done
- Old master bedroom is done and so is the bathroom
- The old spare bedroom is done
- All floors are in, but not tiled
- 70% of the floors in the house are tiled
Here are the major items still to be completed
- Three bathrooms
- The main kitchen and the first floor kitchen
- Most of the doors and windows
- The interior and courtyard need to be painted
- The Man Cave
- The inside stairway from the first floor to the second floor
- All cabinetry work
In between decisions, we’re off to “source” all the stuff. Home depot? Check. High end tile/kitchen store in Bucerias? Check. Nursery? check. Lumber yard? Check. Furniture stores? Check. Bar (multiple times)? Check.
Stay tuned, of c0urse, more to come as it unfolds. Next FW visit will be after KR moves into the bottom floor.